Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Spooky Songs: Arcade Fire

  I'm sure at some point you have been in a bathroom at a truck stop or mall or what have you. In such a bathroom you might encounter a series of sinks with not one set of mirrors, but two, each one facing the other because of such a high demand for hand washing. The interesting thing here is if you look at one mirror you actually get to see a reflection of the other mirror which is reflecting the first mirror at the same time. This goes on, it would seem, all the way to infinity. In some ways I believe the video for the song Reflektor by Arcade of Fire is trying to capture this idea of infinite reflection. Though I cannot defend that idea too strongly because I have almost no idea what the video is actually about.

  The video is beautiful shot in black and white. There are papier-mache heads, floating disco balls in fields, a man who seems to be made up of a suit of mirrors. I don't understand it. But I love it. It is incredibly surreal. I would also say that this music video asks us why we wear masks at times, is it to hide something? is it to bring out our true nature? are there many versions of ourselves hidden deep inside ourselves? It is a mesmerizing world of mirrors and winding roads, what is a reflection and what is not? It is a question of perception.

 This video is a ride, it is a dream, it is a reflection; I sincerely hope you enjoy.

Arcade Fire
Reflektor


directed by Anton Corbijn

No comments: