Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Shins

  The Shins are coming out with a new album called Port of Morrow this year. A few weeks ago the new single entitled "Simple Song" from the album was released.  I listened to the single on repeat for awhile, both entralled with the new energy that the band exhibited and intrigued by the direction they were taking now. It was a slight departure from past material, more bombastic, definitely less low-key.  This change in form makes sense to an extent since The Shins changed almost the entirety of their lineup since their last album, Wincing the Night Away, with the exception of front-man, James Mercer. I was on the fence whether or not I liked the new sound: yes, it is an infectious song that is clearly catchy with the old melancholy of past albums toned down considerably, but was that acceptable within the realm of the same band? I couldn't decide. I was leaning towards yes, if the song is enjoyable then it is enjoyable.

   My intuition was reinforced upon seeing the music video for their single. The video is fantastic, in my opinion. It is comedic, nostalgic, shows great editing, and looks pretty good. The combination of the video and song together erased past doubts in my mind over whether I liked Simple Song, I do. I hope you too will enjoy.

The Shins
Simple Song


oh and happy March!

No comments: