Sunday, May 13, 2012

New Ben Folds Five

  I have enjoyed the music that Ben Folds has made for quite some time now, both in his band Ben Folds Five and alone just as himself. When I had a paper route years ago I would listen to my walkmen, playing certain CD's over and over ad infinitum like Rockin The Suburbs by Ben Folds, I would walk each block singing at the top of my lungs along to The Ascent of Stan, Annie Waits, and Zak and Sara. The song Philosophy by Ben Folds Five is one of my all time anthems, "Go ahead you can laugh all you want/Cuz I've got my philosophy".  And now Ben Folds has reunited with his old band to make a new album and do a reunion tour. The new record is due out sometime this summer or later this year, but the first song has been released and can be heard via the website Stereogum. The song is called "Do It Anyway" and is an ode to doing things even if they go against common sense, doing things just for the heck of it, doing things for the thrill of it. Its a plea, a declaration and a demand. The tune is filled with speedy jangly piano and fuzzy bass and it will leave your toe tapping and your head nodding if not banging by the end.

Do It Anyway by Ben Folds

No comments: