Sunday, January 29, 2012

Swing Prom (or Masquerade in Blues)

Last night we had our annual winter quarter swing dance here in Athens, Ohio and it was fantastic.  The dance was entitled Masquerade in Blues, and near everyone was costumed in a festive mask of some sort.  The "Blues" in the title refers to the four hour blues work-shop we had before the actual dance with instruction by Paul Carryer and Sarah Chapman, and the late night blues dance we had from 12:00 am to 3:00am. The dance itself had live music complements of The Royales, a swing-jazz-funk band that kept the energy lively and never dull. I think during the entirety of the dance I probably only sat out 2 songs. In high school I always thought it would be awesome if one of our school dances had a ridiculous explosive band like this and everyone had actually danced, so in some ways it was like having a belated Swing-Prom. It was so much fun and I am glad I spent my entire Saturday dancing.

No comments: