Friday, August 26, 2011

The Argument

"Who started it? what the hell is this about?" He demanded as if we were lowly criminals in one of his cases, while using his arms to push us apart. At some point during the argument we had gotten to be nose to nose; spittle flying directly from one face to land on the opposing one. What were we even arguing about? I can't even remem- oh! right! Jeffry had borrowed my car for the seemingly millionth time and frankly that was the last straw, there had been tension floating between us like thunder clouds for months and finally the storm came. No punches were thrown, but some extremely unkind words were exchanged that night, stabbing at each other with remarks as only siblings can.

So by the time Father arrived, I'm not sure either of us was even arguing or insulting coherently anymore, throwing such novelties at one another like, "You're a cockatoo's son!" or "You're a dirty pineapple-eater who sleeps in mud!" and "You like blueberries!". You see, completely nonsensical. Well, except for the last one which is true, I do love blueberries, I hadn't realized this could remotely be thought to be a point of contention though.

Father had bodily separated us and was looking back and forth between us, searching for some clue to how we had ended up in such a situation. To illustrate his confusion he said, "You know, I'm quite baffled by this whole thing. A) This isn't how I raised you both. B) You're as close as borthers can be, you never quarrel! and C) if neither of you says one word to shed some light or at least apologizes, then I'm taking you both in the squad can and throwing you in adjoining cells."

We didn't say anything, just sullenly stared. I don't think we believed he'd do it, he was our own father and that sounded a bit over the line in parenting. We called his bluff and steeped ourselves in our own anger.

"Well, at least neither of you are snitches I suppose." and then he frog-marched us into the car. Next thing I knew I was sitting in a cell on a cold, worn cot. I really didn't believe he'd do it.

No comments: