Friday, August 5, 2011

Sailing on

They called me The Captain, well I suppose that's still who I am. Still I pilot this ship, but there are no men to crew it. The crew has been asleep below deck for the better part of a decade; a damn witch's curse! Witches, they are evil blasted things, how we even angered her, I still can't quite figure nor why she left me awake. And I 'ave no prince or princess to kiss them all awake, nor do I even know if that would cure it. They all sleep peacefully, seemingly perfectly content to continue their slumber. Leaving me to take care of them; make sure they're all tucked in tight when the storms get violent and keep the ship sailing. Its lonely and not all at the same time.

I've been on the seas all this time, seen every ocean, all the continents discovered and not, strings of islands and things you've never heard of. Frankly I don't even know rightly where we are anymore. The stars are all foreign, which is saying something for a seaman who know star charts better than the back of his hands. Some days I can swear I see the humps of sea monsters in the distance moving through the water like living islands. The sea itself seems to be a different hue entirely, not the dark blue that is so familiar, but rather a sort of an emerald like colour. Still I sail on, I 'aven't stopped once, I don't know what I'm looking for, but I'll know when I find it. I know that much for sure. Until then I will keep sailing on...sailing on..

No comments: