Monday, August 22, 2011

Not Shaggy Not Scooby

"Hey! Listen!", Her voice was emphatic as the air was cold, "This isn't some show like 'Scooby-Doo', You aren't Shaggy, I'm not Velma and together we sure as heck aren't the effing Myserty Inc Team! This is real life Daniel!"

I breathed out slowly, watching as my breath turned to mist in the November air. I was staring off into the distance quietly, imperceptibly shaking.

She poked me, "Are you even listening?"

I heard myself respond with a much calmer tone than I actually felt, "Yes, Emily, I hear you...this is real life, and I'm scared. Our friends are gone, disappeared without a trace, we can't just go home. I'm pretty sure they're not dead, at least I hope so. I think we should at least make an effort to look for them, don't you?"

She looked at me, her tone softened into something that resembled my best friend, "I guess you're right, how bout we get started searching in the morning after we get some rest in the car, okay? Shit! You're shaking! Why didn't you say something?!"

She quickly unzipped her coat, I embraced her and she enveloped me in the down-jacket. We stayed like that for awhile, the shaking subsided so we climbed into the car. It was an old rusty station wagon that didn't retain heat very well but we laid in the back, cocooned in layers of blankets, sweat shirts and Emily's warm jacket. We passed out before we knew it.

Hours later I was awoken by a steady whirring, it sounded ominous. Poking my head out of the cocoon I saw a faint light piercing the inky blackness of the night. A clue, perhaps?

No comments: