Monday, October 24, 2011

Stay a Little Longer

"Oh, but you simply must try the turkey breast!", Annabelle whined, "It's marvelous!"

 "I apologize, but I'm stuffed Miss, I can have no more." He protested

 Annabelle laughed shrilly, "Stuffed? Stuffed! Ha! You look famished! If you won't have any turkey then at least have a sweet slice of Rum Cake, our family's recipe."

 "Miss, I'm not starved, I'm simply skinny and I really must protest, what I had was wonderful, but now I must be going. I only came to deliver this letter, which you seem ever so reluctant to receive." He said as he stood up, letter proffered by his hand.

 "Do sit back down Arthur." Her voice had lost its mirth and seduction. "Have some potatoes and gravy and I'll see to your letter." She stared at him determinedly until he started to spoon some of the potatoes into his mouth. Satisfied, she slit the letter open and began to read. Arthur ate his mashed potatoes dutifully which were in fact quite delicious. After a few minutes Annabelle set down the letter. "It seems my sister, Daisy Mae, is getting married. I haven't heard a word from her in almost four years and now: married! What a joyous occaision. It even says I am invited...what a strange and joyous occasion Arthurs you simply must stay and celebrate with me. The Rum Cake really is divine."

Generationals
Ten-Twenty-Ten

No comments: