Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A New Mix

    Over the past week or so I've been crafting a mix. I feel a bit out of practice, but at the same time I feel like its a pretty good one. Its got some bones to it, some weight. There are messages that this mix is trying to convey, but I for one am not entirely sure what those messages are. You the listener are more than free to interpret and decide for yourself what those messages might be. The idea to make a mix came from both the fact that my brother made me an awesome one before I left, and also that I'm currently reading "Love is a Mixed Tape" by Rob Sheffield. Mr. Sheffield is a writer/music critic for Rolling Stone magazine as well as other publications. Before anyone gets up in arms about Rolling Stone not being as high quality as it used to be, a) I don't care b) the book is a well written story that explores love, life and experience through music. Each chapter starts with the playlist from one of Rob Sheffield's tapes and he is able to relate that particular mix to a time period. You get sucked in, wanting to listen to those bands, to those songs.

Anyway here's mine:

                    The Good and the Bad

1) The Mountain Goats and John Vanderslice - Scorpio Rising
2) The Decemberists - This Is Why We Fight
3) Lisa Mitchell - Neapolitan Dreams
4) The Black Keyes - Everlasting Light
5) The Hold Steady - How a Resurrection Really Feels
6) The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Horseshoe and the Rabbit's Foot
7) Peter Bjorn and John - Up Against the Wall
8) Avett Brothers - Laundry Room
9) Tokyo Police Club - Wait Up (Boots of Danger)
10) Feist - The Bad in Each Other
11) Walk the Moon - Quesadilla
12) Van Morrison - Kingdom Hall
13) Barenaked Ladies - Some Fantastic
14) Nada Surf - Your Legs Grow
15) Cults - Oh My God
16) The Hold Steady - Our Whole Lives

No comments: