Saturday, December 19, 2009

I Don't Know if you Care, But,

I think I have reason to celebrate. A little bit anyway. You see, fine sirs and madams, this post marks a small momentous occasion of sorts. Has anyone been keeping track? Yes, you sir, in the back? In the green top hat with the monocle. Oh...you were simply scratching your ear, my mistake, good fellow. No guesses? That's fine, that gives me the pleasure of telling you.

Today marks the 100th post that I have made on this blog! Who's excited? Everyone? Good, me too. If I knew a way to html some balloons into the page to float around a little bit they would be here, alas, that is not something that falls under my knowledge at current. I have been trying to plan something stupendous to unveil, or write, etc. Let's see what I can pull from my magician's cap.

So mostly I suppose I'll let you in on what I thought was best in music this year. And I will stress, that perhaps it is not the "best", nor did some of it even get released this year. But this is some of the music I did fancy this year, and that I listened to quite a bit, so gather round(like we're sitting by a fireplace and I just added another log, everyone has hot cocoa and now I will serenade you with tales from the land of music).

Alright, shall I begin? One artist I listened to, probably too much over the past year was Blind Pilot. Its a band made up primarily of two guys with guest players on a lot of songs and just I don't know lyrically I think the songs on the album are quite great. Most of the album is quite laid back and good for listening to during a long walk through the woods. Here's a video so you can judge for yourself:

Go On Say It
Blind Pilot



The band Islands came out with their third album this year, Vapours. Not quite as good as their debut, but definitely better than their sophmore album. There's just some really good lines in some of the songs that seem to stick with me like on "Heartbeat" which goes "And I might be wrong, but I don't think you could sing-along to my heartbeat".

In terms of fun Nate Reuss ex-member of The Format, founded the band Fun. I think in many ways they stand the test of their name. Sing-alongability? yes. Just good, enjoyable music I thought.

All the Pretty Girls
Fun.



Some dancey music which has quickly exploded in popularity this year: Passion Pit. Now I did have a conversation this year at school where the argument was stated that the only guys that like Owl City or Passion Pit are guys that are trying to get girls who like those bands to like them. I disagree with this statement. I do. I suppose judge for yourself, but really that is quite a bold charge I would say. Also this video is pretty innovative, just don't get dizzy.

Sleepyhead
Passion Pit



OH! almost forgot! Yknow who we're really pretty good this year? The XX. I can't really explain their sound at all, its good though. That's what I do know. Memorable line: "I think that I am losing where you end and I begin" from this song:

Basic Space
The XX



I think I have just one or two more. Like the band Said the Whale. Their album that I have been listening to this year is a few years old, but I think its pretty great. I posted a video from them a few days ago but another one wouldn't hurt, surely? This one is in honor of the light, and by light I mean very light sprinkling of snow coating the ground outside.

This Winter I Retire
Said the Whale



Also Wave Machines. I like them too.

The Greatest Escape We Ever Made
Wave Machines



There's a couple other things I should mention, but I would be surprised if you were still reading by this point anyway, so I shall have to mention them another time!

Until Later/Thanks for reading so far!
Eric

No comments: